Cookie Consent by PrivacyPolicies.com

Château d'Ampuis

The jewel in a crown of vines

Situated between the king of rivers and an exceptional vineyard, the Château d’Ampius was originally a fortress in the 12th Century and was later converted into a Renaissance style château. Over the years, it has opened its doors to many illustrious people. Just one league away from the ancient city of Vienne, the Château d’Ampuis was positioned in an exceptionally favourable spot; nestled between the Rhône and the ancient vineyards of the Côte-Rôtie.

This privileged site has sheltered populations since the paleolithic era but it was during the Roman era in particular that the location underwent elaborate construction and expansion under the name of Villa d’Ampuicius.

With its 12th Century origins followed by the first renovation by Pierre d’Ampuy at the beginning of the 14th Century, it is the famous MAUGIRON family who gave aristocratic credentials to the Château d’Ampuis. The building remained in this family from 1512 to 1755 during which period it played host to several kings of France. Subsequently, the families HARENC de la CONDAMINE and then CIBEINS were responsible for ensuring that the château reached the 20th century in a good state of conservation.

Unfortunately, during the 20th century this beautiful building was subject to neglect and fell into a state of disrepair.

Acquired by the Guigal family in 1995, the Château d’Ampuis was then registered as a national historic monument. Since then it has undergone a colossal programme of renovation in order to restore the building to its former glory.

This process has taken nearly 11 years with over 100 people working on the project for over 5 years. The work was overseen by Jean-Gabriel MORTAMET, Chief Architect of Historic Monuments and the result is a restoration of the utmost quality.

Today, Château d'Ampuis is the headquarters of the Maison GUIGAL. Tours and visits are organized at the domain's historic cellars located in the heart of the city of Ampuis.

The walls proudly display the motto from its prestigious past, “No Pains, No Gains”. A motto which expresses the ethos of this Rhône establishment perfectly.

 

Video